Sunday, May 10, 2009

Take a Moment... or Two... or Three....

Mary Louise “Leah” King August 15,1931- January 14, 2007

M.O.M.
M
aking Ongoing Memories
One of my favorite memories of my mother is her baking a cake. Oh no, not the actual cake and how it tasted after filling the apartment with that sweet aroma of anticipation… or fighting over who got the first piece. The memory is of the days before we owned a cake mixer or could afford buying cake mix from the store. Leah made the cake from scratch with carefully memorized and measured ingredients. She would mix the ingredients in a bowl over the sink. But before she’d start the “mixing” my brother, sister and I would stand on both sides and behind her… hold onto her waist… and get “a ride” as she shook while stirring the bowl.

One day we’d grow old enough to go to amusement parks, laugh, scream, line up, eat and ride.... I’d say we got a pretty good start right there in our apartment in Grant Projects… Harlem, NYC. I know that my younger brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews all benefited from that joy and continue to Make Ongoing Memories and make our family S.H.I.N.E.
What’s one of yours?

1 comment:

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling