Monday, October 5, 2009

Learning in Economic Quicksand

One of the callings I enjoy is my conducting a Job Skills Training class at a family services center. Of course I start out reminding attendees that they are not to focus on a J.O.B. (Just Over Broke) situation, when they should be focusing on L.I.F.E. (Lessons Intended For Everyone). Some of the lessons I share are through my original poetry. This one is a message “about” attendees, “to” messengers: case workers, educators, supervisors, parents, perhaps even you, and certainly me….


I CAN’T SAVE THE WORLD
BUT I CAN SAVE YOU…

Every time I talk to my mirror
My revelation is the same
I can’t save the world
From all the injustice and the pain.

Yet, as I look around at the lives I touch
I’m reminded of something I fear
That my success might make me forget
About those who need me to care.

I could spend all my time with the media
And say that none of “them” are willing to work hard.
Or I can be thankful that I have the chance to make a difference
And recognize that chance as a grace from my God.

I can feed my spirit with my own personal thanks
Not “expecting” showers of praise from the people I serve
And I can relax knowing that I’ve done my best
Treating each person with the respect they deserve.

I can look back at the times I almost lost my temper
Now understanding that my disappointment was really concern
For who I thought was mature enough to take responsibility
Was actually only old enough to learn.

I can only help those who are willing to help themselves
By helping myself remain true
To the message I get from my mirror:
I can’t save the world
But I can save you!
© 2000 Sporty King

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling