Friday, October 16, 2009

Learning in Economic Quicksand

B.E.S.T.
I’ve always used “Better, Easier, Smarter, Tougher” to describe this acronym… talking about how we grow through practicing and focusing on the basics to become successful.

Recently, a good friend of mine, who is beginning her journey toward becoming a professional speaker, asked me to be one of her mentors. As we began to take her steps, she asked for some insight. When I responded, she expressed her appreciation, and we volleyed online. Here is the volley:

Sylvia D.: Thanks, I tried to come up with an acronym for best, but couldn't, so, I just say, you are the BEST!

SK: Bible Encourages Sporty's Testimony
Basically Enabling Sylvia's Too

SD: What a gift!
SK: Yeahhhh, probably because
Believing Essentially Strengthens Testimonies
LOL

As you grow in your speaking ministry, the key will be to release your creativity and see the world through 'your' eyes, rather than your audience's. Instead of saying (to yourself) that you can't come up with something... find a way. After all, that's what you're instructing your audience to do...

SD: What a profound statement, "see the world through 'your' eyes, rather than your audiences". I read that over and over again. I believe part of my fear of speaking is because I think I don't have anything to say. In fact, the reason we go to hear "motivational" speakers is because their testimony may help us in some way in our own life. We, or at least I never think about the fact that in sharing their testimony, they are helping us to see the world in their eyes or in a "different way", thereby offering a different perspective to the challenge or challenges we might be facing at the time. That's what it's about helping people to see things differently.

Thanks for the insight!

Sorry for babbling

SK: Awareness usually equals babble because it equals excitement! Nothing more exciting than being connected to your personal power through God's word. (ooh, that's a good one... I'll have to use it again)

You've definitely got a message and a lot to say. Start with reading 1 Peter 11: Are you called to be a speaker? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Are you called to help others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then God will be given glory in everything thorough Jesus Christ.

I've got that posted at my desk to remind and strengthen me. What signs do you have on your walls at home or at work? That's where you feed.

Galatians 6:4-5
Be sure to do what you should, for then you will enjoy the personal satisfaction of having done your work well, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else. For we are each responsible for our own conduct.


As I closed in my volley with Sylvia, I close in saying to you:


Pace yourself. You're on track,
Sporty

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling