Sunday, April 11, 2010

Whose Heart is it About?

I don’t do relationship chats or blogs… however, a friend asked me a question about risking the chance to put one’s heart out to get hurt. Here’s how I responded:

Hearts get the best exercise when we exercise them. If you keep holding your heart back for someone, when they come along you'll have a hard time recognizing them and getting the right pace. Short relationships are just as fulfilling as long ones. Truth is that the long ones are just a bunch of short ones where you go through changes to get to the next.

Yeah, it's a little different when the sprints are with new partners... but comparison helps you get more in touch with yourself. And isn't that what it should be about?

Let me know what you think.
(feel free to let me know this is why I don't do relationship blogs)

4 comments:

  1. The series of short relationships with one person that make up a long relationships are greater than the sum of their parts.

    The deeper groove in your psyche from one, long relationship will never be the same as the series of short-term relationship grooves that run parallel to the deep groove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My correlation of short to long was trying to say that "in" a long relationship, you will have bumps that break a groove and make you rededicate the commitment to the same person ... with new insight.

    Meanwhile I'd still like to see people taking a new chance, rather than 'penalizing' the next person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sporty, this is great. It's time for me to make so many moves in my life, and it's overwhelming. However, this is one that I need to do something about soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that if you look at Victorito's insightful comment you'll see that there's some good weight on what you "need" to do with your psyche. Are you seeing one overwhelming move (groove) or several? It's my rhetorical question aimed at continuing to focus on YOUR heart.

    ReplyDelete

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling