Thursday, July 22, 2010

Everybody's Got One...

There’s a book inside each of us. Whether we determine to (or deter from) writing it is the difference.
© July 2010

Thus, here I am writing more about the Plan…. On Tuesday, July 13, I went to get an oil change at Wal Mart. Afterwards they recommended I get a new battery and air filter some time in the near future. Having just come through my last testimony, I saw no reason to jump into another one, so I decided that the “near future” was immediately. Unfortunately they did not have my battery, so I went to Sam’s (all this free advertising!!!).

On Thursday, July 15, I drove to Atlanta for the weekend, to hang out with family and friends. Because I did, I didn’t do much driving while there. In fact I stayed with a married couple whom I had introduced to one another 25+ years ago. I’ve been brokering good deals for a long time (count your blessings)!!! Upon driving back on Sunday, July 19, I got and installed the air filter.

Wednesday, July 21 I went out to open the windows of the car and cool it out before heading out to do laundry. When I returned to the car (3 minutes later) it wouldn’t start… the windows wouldn’t go back up… nothing. After about 20 minutes a neighbor came by, and I asked for a jump. He turned out to be a native New Yorker… great conversation about our Yankees, etc. I drove to Sam’s for them to test the battery. They said they hoped it wasn’t the alternator. I hoped too. They tested. It was a bad battery… which had been made and brought from the manufacturer a month ago. They gave me a new battery, after testing it.

Did I mention that in the midst of all this I got a call from the Charlotte Urban League, whom I met with in April when I came down to find my apartment? I now have my first contract, and will be doing Life Skills training through them from September to December, two weeks a month. I also passed my driver’s license written exam, and will become an official southerner when I get my license in the mail next week

I had to write 2 friends from Chicago, whom I was scheduled to meet in Raleigh this weekend. Because of the testimonies, I had made the tough decision to remain budget conscious, and not make the trip. They wrote back, happily letting me know that they had cancelled due to an airfare increase. I’m looking forward to spending my first weekend in Charlotte. At least that’s my Plan….

2 comments:

  1. You're right; we all have a book inside us. And sometimes the titles and characters change. Adventures in Breast Cancer was dedicated to a host of women I shared the journey with - and - my best friend and love, Andrew. My next book, "The Other Boob," will also be dedicated to Andrew but in a different way. Life changes; humor endures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... and Amen. I'm a member of AATH - Association for Applied & Therapeutic Humor... an organization of people who believe in the healing power of laughter. American Cancer Treatment Centers is a primary supporter.
    All the best with "The Other Boob." :-)

    ReplyDelete

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling