Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Plan

Challenges are God’s way of letting you know he’s got bigger plans for you. As you eclipse them you become more confident and believe you can handle the Plan. Then the Plan unfolds… sometimes making you wish you had enjoyed the challenge more. I’m excited to say that I have consistently gotten to the point where I don’t get that knot in my stomach when an obstacle pops up.

As I was relocating from Chicago to Charlotte on Tuesday, July 6… my car cut off (while driving) on the Interstate in Corbin, Kentucky. Since it was early evening, all the tow truck could do was drop my 1993 Toyota Camry at the mechanic for an overnight stay. I did my part toward helping fix the problem: I went and had a margarita.

Shortly after getting the word (on Wednesday) that my car’s motor was no good, and considering the cost in the option to replace or fix it… the electrical power went out in the area. That shut down 4 hotels, 1 gas station, 3 restaurants, 3 fast food restaurants, a movie theatre, and the phone lines. I sat and wrote, “My challenge is small in comparison. Somewhere, something else is making this AREA smaller…. Anger is not a good use of time.” Find a way to reconnect to the joy and beauty of being blessed enough to get bumped. I went and had a margarita.

Wednesday morning my high school roommate, Marvin (who lives in New Jersey) called me from Knoxville, Tennessee, where he was visiting his family. Knoxville is 85 miles from Corbin, KY. He came and picked me up that night. On Thursday his brother, Horace, used his connections to help me purchase a car at the auto auction. OK, not just a car… a 1998 Toyota Camry… for $1,500.

On Friday I got the radiator and windshield fixed, got a haircut, had a celebratory margarita, and played pool with Marvin and his 3 brothers. Saturday at 6:30am I headed back to Corbin to transfer my belongings from one Camry to the other, while the mechanic switched the wheels from the old to the new. I left him the car to sell for parts, and headed for Charlotte (once again). I’m here now awaiting the next challenge... (at least, that's my Plan....)

Meanwhile, no, I’m not promoting alcohol (nor working on a tequila sponsorship). I’m reminding you that operating within your limits is the best road to travel. When you get bumped from your path, don’t get angry or frustrated.

What do you do to activate your gift for overcoming challenges and reconnecting to your Plan?

5 comments:

  1. Sporty, you know that you always have a way of making the bad look like, sound like, smell like, taste like, and feel like the good.

    Yeah, I know, that's what you do. Which is why I love you.

    Thanks for reminding me that God has a plan. I will enjoy the challenges more...

    Peace and blessings,

    Cassandra "D.I.V.A. of Dialog" Lee
    http://www.divaofdialog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you're onto something else there... it's always important to involve as many of your senses as possible in being your creative self, whether writing, speaking or living....

    "It's all good" is more than slang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't quite decide if you're a terrific optimist, or just very delusional...:-)

    Either way, be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No decision necessary. :-) I don't explain God, I experience God.

    What we have to look at is my philosophy and greeting, "I'm Blessed... and I'm used to it."

    (Reader)
    There's a death and a tragedy going on as you read this. You're not playinig a starring role in either, and there are no challenges you haven't survived.

    I've realized that this is a wonderful opportunity for me to continue to preach what I practice, rather than practice what I preach. One of my favorite acronyms is HOPE: Having Over-Powered Evil. Evil cannot beat you one-on-one. That's why problems have to come at you in droves to beckon your questioning of faith.

    I spend/spent a little time with each challenge, and wrap them up into one big victorious testimony. Wisdom being in retrospect, I have to remember that I've overcome bigger or smaller challenges, and attest to my willingness to do what it takes to beat the newer strand.

    (Jennifer)
    You hit it on the head. Faith + Patience = WELL: We Easily Live Longer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this Sporty. As things are happening as I near my goal of business ownership, I hear people saying a lot but it's not generating revenue,so it's not making sense to me.

    As things happen I figure it's just a test of patience and faith. Am I going to give up or keep moving forward? Well, giving up is NEVER an option so I'm happily skipping along for the next sign that I'm in the right direction.

    How do I know it's the right direction? Because if it were wrong, I wouldn't have so many challenges and negativity.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling