Thursday, January 13, 2011

How I Feel Affects Other People...

YOU KEPT ME UP
LATE LAST NIGHT


I could almost make out your figure
Through the darkness in which we sat.
And so I sat and I listened,
And I felt your every word
as they lingered in the black.

I closed my eyes.

But I opened them shortly
(for I missed you in that span)

Your fragrance enticed my nostrils
Your voice welcomed me back
Your actions called for my attention
Your wisdom rang in my ear.
You kept me up late last night

And you weren't even here.






© 1994 Sporty King
"Do You Have Any Idea... How Fine You Are?"
Available at
www.sportyking.com

The truth is we all keep someone up late each night... worrying about our safety... how we handled a situation... what we last spoke about....


Though I obviously wrote this poem to express my feelings to my girlfriend, who was studying abroad, years later a friend of mine honored my writing as she used it to eulogize her friend.

See the power of words, and resolve to define them to express your feelings with no boundaries on how you use them. And be sure to tell someone you love them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling