Monday, January 10, 2011

How I Feel Affects Other People...

This is the title poem to the book, "I Found Out I'm Dying: A Celebration of Life." A "story" in poetry that reminds us to be comfortable with the decisions we make in enjoying life to the fullest.



Physically we're all dying from the day we're born... get over it! One day you won't be here. Yet, some people act like they're never going to die, so they procrastinate, hold grudges... miss the subtitle in the book title, and the chance to "find out" how to live.

 
I FOUND OUT I'M DYING

Actually, I've known it for quite some time now
But for so many others its new news.
So I'd like to thank You (God) for yesterday
As much as I do for today.

And I ask that you (my friend) pause, but not stop,
To think about some of the wild things I've survived
Before my greatest challenge.
And believe me,
Death is the only challenge we won't sit and laugh about
[Or relive]

But we can find joy in it,
Because there'll be enough kind words
to create a new dictionary.
Kind words that I need now, more than ever
Kind words keep us alive
Physically. . . mentally. . . spiritually.

I found out I'm dying
And when I woke this morning I wept.
And I laughed aloud and I started to sing
(but remembered that I couldn't, so I danced instead)
And I whistled a tune as I made my bed

I threw open the window and let out a cheer
(actually I just smiled, so no one could hear)

I exercised, ate and dressed (after I washed)
then I looked in the mirror and gave myself a wink.
"Not bad for a body that's survived another day,
I'm so blessed to get older"
Is all I could think.

I didn't bother reading the Obituary
(Because I knew I wasn't there)
Instead I clipped my fingernails
And neatly styled my hair

I found out I'm dying
And that I have been since Day Number One.
So I spend little time regretting my life
Because I'd rather spend the time having fun.


© 1995 Sporty King

“I Found Out I’m Dying: A Celebration of Life”
Available at
www.sportyking.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling