Monday, October 11, 2010

How I Feel Affects Other People...

While you’re pushing this generation away and “not knowing what to do with them,” by disapproving of their dress, style, piercing, tattoos, language, following the crowd… advertisers are trying to reach ‘These Kids of Today.’


Radio commercials are being created with ethnic dialect that glorifies poor grammar. I heard a commercial that stated, “… I seen my friend, and asked her….”  Personalities read scripts written by advertisers with the expressions ‘dog,’ ‘represent,’ ‘OMG….’

Billboards and TV ads have text messages and slang jingles with popular Rappers. Sponsors bankroll the non-traditional athletes with heightened sexual innuendo. Videos showcase sex, liquor and products that have absolutely nothing to do with the song. Reality TV encourages competitive disrespect of everyone....

Don’t misread this message. I’m not knocking or criticizing the advertisers, mediums or personalities. They know and acknowledge how powerful our children are. I’m asking whether or not you’re one of the voices sending them to find love where they’re accepted… then wondering aloud if they’ve lost their minds?

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Now, if you could make others listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "OMG" ... I never got notification, and therefore never responded.

    Sooo, first - thank you for your affirmation.

    Second and so on, though rhetorical, I do want more people to respond by stating, "No I'm not pushing our kids away... and I haven't given up on them." For even if you have been, stating it now can begin the process of stopping.

    Thanks again Milly. I'll be more diligent. :-)

    ReplyDelete

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling