Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Give Your Word

Don’t give your word if you WON’T keep it… we know you CAN. ~Sporty King

© July 2010


During my first week in Charlotte I made a new turn (I don’t make wrong turns) and ended up somewhere I wasn’t planning to go. The woman on the intercom understood that I needed directions, so she invited me in to get a visual of where I needed to go. We struck up a wonderful conversation of blessings, right and left turns (still no ‘wrong’) as she welcomed me to Charlotte. She invited me to the church where her son pastored, and I said I’d visit within the month.

I visited 2 weeks later, and when she saw me she was puzzled as to where we had met. Upon my telling her that she has invited me, and about our conversation… she said, “You came! You kept your word. Most people don’t keep their word.” I gladly responded, “Then they shouldn’t have given their word.”

My word is very important to me. At the other end of it is my reputation. It has been several years now, but I’ve grown to the point where I don’t do ANYTHING I don’t want to do. I sit on that fine line people call “Brutally Honest” or “Refreshingly Frank.” Why think every moment could be your last, when you can know it… and believe in not having told a lie with your last breath? Thus, when I give my word I punctuate it by saying, “I don’t make promises… I give guarantees. Amateurs make promises.”

Who can you give your word today? They need to know that there is SOMEONE they can believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling