Saturday, August 21, 2010

I Love My Family

Last weekend I was given the blessing of sharing in the lives of generations of some of the most precious people in my life: my family. I only say “some” because there were ‘two’ I didn’t get to see.


As I rolled into New York City on Friday evening my sister, Zytiin called to check my arrival time. I was where I could meet her to go food shopping and carry stuff so she could avoid aggravating recent surgery. One of her dearest friends, Nancy was in town from Florida. We laughed until we fell asleep.

Saturday morning we went to see our sister-in-law, Monica participate as the youngest in her ‘seasoned’ citizens’ synchronized swimming showcase. One of my adopted nieces, Jessica (16) accompanied us, as well as Nancy’s son, Isaiah (18). Monica’s daughters (my nieces), Trishon and Qianna joined us, with my great nieces, Mineu (7) and N’More (2) … and great nephew, Skyler (9). From there I, Zyt and her friend Carol went to Morningside Park for my brother Travis’ annual cookout. Besides all of his boys, who are my adopted younger brothers… I hung out with my younger brothers Vaughn and Hassan. My elder cousin Kenny was there with his daughter Kendra (12). My nieces Nachez (17) and Breanna (16) brought smiles to my face, as did nephew Travis (1), who calmly shrugs his shoulders when you tell him to show “I don’t know.”

Nephew Tyvon, niece Viilorii, great nephews Nathaneal and Caleb showed up that afternoon, my cousins Todd and Rhonda showed up later that evening, and I got to meet 4 nieces I’d never met before.

Sunday we were at another location celebrating our memorial tribute to the greatest woman to ever live, my mother Mary Louise King… whom we called Leah. Added to my list was my cousin Robin, and over 100 “chosen family members” joined us as we cooked, danced, played chess, youth games and laughed the day away in the spirit Leah instilled in all of us. I gave a heartfelt tribute to Leah toward the end and everyone, from her friends down to youngest who remembered her, cheered.

Monday morning my brother Vaughn joined me as we spent introspective moments at the cemetery. When I got back to the City it was time to take Nancy to the airport, and pick up my niece Nachez for our dinner date. Taking my nieces on individual dates is a tradition we began 4 years ago before my mother died. She is off to college next week, after she turns 18 on August 23.

Tuesday evening it was time to meet my youngest sister, Usheevii for dinner. We were celebrating low/no budget lifestyles, so happily took the invitation to meet at my niece Viilorii’s apartment. Her brother, Tyvon met us there, as did my sister Zyt. I drove back to Charlotte on Wednesday, thankful for my family. I look forward to my next trip where I’ll be sure to see niece Naya (13) and great niece Gabrielle (13), who both left me messages about missing me that weekend.

Count the generations you still have in your family, and make each moment with them count.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Listening

The Master of Listening
... and Smiling